Re: PL/pgSQL "compilation error"

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Tim Perdue <tim(at)perdue(dot)net>, sqllist <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL "compilation error"
Date: 2001-03-15 21:17:12
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-sql

Josh Berkus wrote:
> This brings up an important point. We have a medium-large user base for
> PL/pgSQL out there, but it appears that Jan Wieck no longer has time to
> develop the language ... nor should he be the sole developer. Howe do
> we find more developers to expand & extend PL/pgSQL? I'd be willing to
> contribute financially, but can't afford to actuall hire somebody on my
> own (and don't have the moxie to doe the programming!).

Let me put it this way: PL/pgSQL never was something I wrote
because I wanted to have it. Funny as it is, after I created
PL/Tcl there where just as many questions about something
independant of other packages as you can think of, and I
simply wanted to get rid of these questions.

This doesn't mean I'm uninterested in PL/pgSQL getting
better. On the doc's it's just that I've been it's initial
developer, not it's best user. So this kinda cookbook
should've been better written by someone else and I see it
found it's way.

I definitely have plans to improve it after 7.1. This is a
brief list of things I want to accomplish:

1. support for tuple and setof-tuple returns for full stored
procedures.

2. Enhancement of the SPI manager and using these for real
CURSOR support and from within FOR etc. loop handling.

3. Further enhancement of the SPI manager to detect usage of
temporary objects (like temp tables) in a query, suppress
plan preparation on those statements for better support
of dynamic SQL.

You're right in that there could be more PL/pgSQL handler
developers. There have been contributions in the past, and
that it have been a few only might be my fault not telling
enough about the internals of the handler - it's an ugly
piece of code anyway. Let me finish my movement to Virginia
and see y'all in the 7.2 cycle.

Jan