Re: Oracle MINUS is not supported

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Denis Perchine <dyp(at)perchine(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle MINUS is not supported
Date: 2001-03-10 17:20:17
Lists: pgsql-patches
> On Saturday 10 March 2001 21:09, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Ultimlately, what we would like is a pre-grammar to convert Oracle-isms
> > to PostgreSQL/ANSI.
>
> Not sure that I get what do you mean? Could you please be more verbose.

Sorry, I have a bad habit of being too brief. :-)

There have been requests to accept Oracle-specific grammar.  Rather than
adding complexity to our existing grammar, and perhaps having cases
where we can't do things the ANSI way and the ORACLE way at the same
time, we would rather have a pass over the queries before they reach our
grammar.  The pass would restructure any Oracle-specific syntax into
PostgreSQL syntax.  That allows us to have all the Oracle-specific stuff
in the one place, and to turn it on and off as needed.