Memory leak in ODBC driver

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Memory leak in ODBC driver
Date: 2001-03-09 15:41:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Terry Carlin (terry(at)greatbridge(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Memory leak in ODBC driver

Long Description
As part of Great Bridge QA testing, we run the AS3AP, TPC-C, and TPC-D
benchmarks using 1 to 100 users. Our benchmarking tool is Benchmark
Factory. It is a WinNT/Win2000 application. It uses ODBC to connect to PostgreSQL as there is no native driver for PostgreSQL yet. Benchmark Factory will run as many transactions as it can during a given timeframe.

We have found that there is a memory leak in the PostgreSQL ODBC drivers. The system memory grows 100k to 300k every five seconds during the test. We are hitting from 500 to 1100 transactions per second. After we get through several hundred thousand transactions, we run out of swap space on the Win2000 box. The Win2000 box has about 1.2 gig of swap space.

We have found this behavior in all versions of the ODBC driver all the
way back to the 6.50.000 ODBC driver.

We loaded Oracle8i onto our benchmark machine and ran the same tests. We observed that there was no memory growth during these tests.

I have captured the "mylog" file and placed it on a ftp site for
downloading. There are two versions of this file.
The full one is about 55 mb and the second is a "head -10000" of that
file. It is about 500k.

The filenames are:
ftp://linux1000.dn.net/pub/mylog_1180.log and
ftp://linux1000.dn.net/pub/mylog_1180_10000.log

We will provide any assistance and resources needed to help squash this bug.

Terry Carlin
VP QA & Lab
Great Bridge LLC

terry(at)greatbridge(dot)com