Re: /usr/local/{include,lib} on Cygwin

From: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: /usr/local/{include,lib} on Cygwin
Date: 2001-03-06 21:59:47
Lists: pgsql-ports
On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 05:35:16PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Our build system is set up to automatically include -I/usr/local/include
> and -L/usr/local/lib on the compile and link command lines on Cygwin.
> Now I see a lot of users where this issues a warning message that this
> directory doesn't exist.  This may confuse new users.  Also, shouldn't gcc
> be searching these directories automatically?  Can someone comment whether
> it would be better to remove these explicit options?

gcc uses them automatically: no

why they are: cygipc should be there.  [binary package installs
there]  When the user is new it does not have /usr/local, I
guess he wont have cygipc too and the build fails anyway (?).

Actually configure should search specifically for cygipc and
report if not found.  Last time I looked it blindly used
'-L/usr/local/lib -lcygipc', so if the cygipc was missing it
stopped mysterous places like

checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no

I am ocassionally newbie too...  And I had /usr/local.  If I
hadnt it maybe it would failed somewhere else, dunno, ATM I dont
have NT nearby so cant test.

--
marko