Re: WAL & RC1 status

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL & RC1 status
Date: 2001-03-02 15:54:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > Is there a version number in the WAL file?
>
> catversion.h will do fine, no?
>
> > Can we put conditional code in there to create
> > new log file records with an updated format?
>
> The WAL stuff is *far* too complex already.  I've spent a week studying
> it and I only partially understand it.  I will not consent to trying to
> support multiple log file formats concurrently.

Well, I was thinking a few things.  Right now, if we update the
catversion.h, we will require a dump/reload.  If we can update just the
WAL version stamp, that will allow us to fix WAL format problems without
requiring people to dump/reload.  I can imagine this would be valuable
if we find we need to make changes in 7.1.1, where we can not require
dump/reload.