Re: Re: Fixes to index pages

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Fixes to index pages
Date: 2001-02-22 01:05:19
Lists: pgsql-patches
> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > What happened to our discussion about keeping t_info bit 13 unused??
> >
> > I wasn't going to reserve it in the patch. I figured I would make all
> > the items/flags match, and if someone wants to reserve it, it is easy to
> > do in one place.  I imagine 7.2 is going to be dump/reload anyway so the
> > decision can be made during development cycle.  I basically didn't want
> > to leave a bit gap and leave it unnamed because it could cause
> > confusion.
> >

> You have added the following TODO recently.
>  * Add deleted bit to index tuples to reduce heap access
>
> Where would you have the deleted bit in IndexTupleData ?

Wow, seems like everyone liked the deleted bit idea.  :-)

I would put it in bit 13.  I would adjust the bit masks in the itup.h
file.  I assume you are asking why I don't do it in the patch, and the
reason is because I have no code to update the bit field.   I think the
bit should be reserved at the time the code is added.