Re: [ANNOUNCE] Request for speakers at O'Reilly conference

From: selkovjr(at)mcs(dot)anl(dot)gov
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Request for speakers at O'Reilly conference
Date: 2001-02-13 06:36:18
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

On Mon, 4 Feb 2001, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> This is a good opportunity to promote PostgreSQL and I think we
> should utilize it. I'm not sure I'll have a chance to take part
> in the conference, but I'd like somebody describe GiST extension and
> presents tutorial how to use it. We could prepare some materials and
> examples from real life. I think Gene Selkov might be a good person

Under some stress and with a lot of preparation, I might be able to
present a tutorial on extensions in general, as well as on some of the
GiST, but I am not sure I meet the technical depth requirement. The
databases I built in the past were mostly read-only, and I seldom had
time to explore beyond the bare necessity. Now that I am assigned a
task of building a system with a moderate intensity of update, I feel
like a total newbie again.

Considering how quickly Oleg picked it up and how far he has gone, I
think he is now the top expert on the GiST, and I would rather have
him do that. However, if he can't and if nobody else stands up --
count me in as a fall-back. Time is almost up, though.

--Gene