Re: Cygwin postmaster exit problem?

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Leonid Furman <leonid(dot)furman(at)veritas(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin postmaster exit problem?
Date: 2001-02-12 18:12:48
Lists: pgsql-ports

Leonid,

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 03:01:27PM -0500, Leonid Furman wrote:
> I am using PostgreSQL on WinNT. When I close the cygwin window the
> postmaster process gets killed. I tried to start in silence mode using
> command line
>
> "nohup postmaster -S -i &"
>
> but it does not help either. Is there any way to exit cygwin without killing
> postmaster process? Any help is appreciated.

I can reproduce your problem with Cygwin 1.1.7 and PostgreSQL CVS
(last updated around 1/15/01), but only when I start postmaster from
a bash console window. Actually when I try to exit from bash, the
window hangs. When I kill the window (i.e., click on the X in the upper
right-hand corner), that is when postmaster aborts.

However, if I start postmaster from a rxvt window, then rxvt does not
hang and postmaster does not abort upon window closure. rxvt can be
found at:

http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html

Another way to run postmaster is via run as in the following:

run bash -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data"

The above can be invoked by cmd, Start/Run..., shortcut, etc. run can
be found at:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/unversioned/run/index.html

Fred Yankowski and I have just begun to collaborate on converting
postmaster (i.e. postgres.exe) into a true NT service, so hopefully the
above workarounds will only be needed temporarily.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235