Re: Backend crash while indexing large strings

From: Stephen van Egmond <svanegmond(at)bang(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: svanegmond(at)home(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backend crash while indexing large strings
Date: 2001-02-08 23:07:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane (tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us) wrote:
> I get
>
> FATAL 1: btree: failed to add item to the page in _bt_sort (2)
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
>
> Is that the same thing you see?

Yes, sorry for omitting the crash.

> The script does not seem to trigger the failure in current sources,
> so I suspect the equal-keys changes I made awhile back fixed it.
> But I will dig into the crash and make sure. Many thanks for providing
> a self-contained test case!

Great! Excellent. Looking forward to 7.1!

Having just spent last night (midnight to 4 am) installing Oracle, let
me say that I'm going to make my positive best efforts to work with
pgsql.

I was considering using the ACS (http://www.arsdigita.com/ ),
which requries Oracle, but after last night's nightmare, I'm hereby
pledging to work with OpenACS (http://www.openacs.org/ ) which is
a port to Postgres.

/Steve