Re: PostgreSQL and PHP persistent connections

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Thies C(dot) Arntzen" <thies(at)digicol(dot)de>, rasmus(at)php(dot)net, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and PHP persistent connections
Date: 2001-02-08 13:10:11
Lists: pgsql-interfacespgsql-jdbc
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > > We discussed using 'ROLLBACK' before passing a connection to a new user,
> > > but the problem was that ROLLBACK with no open transaction causes a
> > > server log error message.  We discussed adding 'ROLLBACK SILENT' to fix
> > > this, but I believe a better, more portable solution is a simple "BEGIN
> > > WORK;ROLLBACK".  This will do nothing if there is no open transaction,
> >
> > How is that an improvement?  It only changes the case in which you get
> > a NOTICE from not-in-transaction to in-transaction ...
>
> Well, the most common case is that you are not in a transaction.

    Why   not   tracing  PQcmdStatus(result)  on  the  persistent
    connection?  It  allways   returns   "BEGIN",   "COMMIT"   or
    "ROLLBACK" for whatever you issued.

    Well,  it'll  not  catch the uncommon case that someone might
    issue  multiple  queries   in   one   statements   (semicolon
    separated). But that's IMHO bad practice anyway and the above
    will avoid communication, context switching and eating up  of
    XID's until we have silent rollback in 7.2.

Jan