Re: PostgreSQL and PHP persistent connections

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Thies C(dot) Arntzen" <thies(at)digicol(dot)de>, rasmus(at)php(dot)net, PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and PHP persistent connections
Date: 2001-02-08 13:10:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > > We discussed using 'ROLLBACK' before passing a connection to a new user,
> > > but the problem was that ROLLBACK with no open transaction causes a
> > > server log error message. We discussed adding 'ROLLBACK SILENT' to fix
> > > this, but I believe a better, more portable solution is a simple "BEGIN
> > > WORK;ROLLBACK". This will do nothing if there is no open transaction,
> >
> > How is that an improvement? It only changes the case in which you get
> > a NOTICE from not-in-transaction to in-transaction ...
>
> Well, the most common case is that you are not in a transaction.

Why not tracing PQcmdStatus(result) on the persistent
connection? It allways returns "BEGIN", "COMMIT" or
"ROLLBACK" for whatever you issued.

Well, it'll not catch the uncommon case that someone might
issue multiple queries in one statements (semicolon
separated). But that's IMHO bad practice anyway and the above
will avoid communication, context switching and eating up of
XID's until we have silent rollback in 7.2.

Jan