Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Lo <kevin(dot)lo(at)toptk(dot)com>, Jamie Walker <jamie(at)sagaxis(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IpcMemoryDetach fails under Cygwin on Win98
Date: 2001-02-06 02:30:36
Lists: pgsql-ports
Bruce,

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:39:05PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > What!  That is the first I have ever heard it runs on Win98.  I assume
> > > you are running Cygwin.  Maybe the newer version has the stuff we need.
> > > Can you supply the cygwin version?
> >
> > Not surprisingly :-) Someone followed my page to install PostgreSQL to
> > Windows 98 last year, he told me that it runs on Win98 with no problems.
> > Because I don't have Win98, I can't test it whether it works nor not.
> > Well, I think PostgreSQL-7.0.x can run on Win98...
>
> Updated FAQ item:
>
> The database server can run on Windows NT, Win2k, and Win98 using
> Cygwin, the Cygnus Unix/NT porting library. See pgsql/doc/FAQ_MSWIN in
> the distribution or the MS Windows FAQ on our web site. We have no plan
> to do a native port to any Microsoft platform.

I would change the first sentence above to:

    The database server can run on Windows NT, 2000, 9X, and Me using
    Cygwin, the Red Hat Unix/Windows porting library.

But, I recommend holding off on the update until someone runs the
regression test.  Especially, because of the following:

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:43:25PM +0900, Yutaka tanida wrote:
> I also tried to run on Win9x with cygwin1.1.7, and succeed only with one
> connection. It seems very unstable.

Yutaka has proven himself very knowledgeable in the area of Cygwin PostgreSQL
and I think that we should heed his warning.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235