Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-29 06:29:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
  >Just out of curiosity, does Debian enforce a nonstandard location for
  >X sockets as well?

X has a big exception made for it in the FHS for /usr/X11R6; I don't see
any mention of how /tmp/.X11/ is to be treated, but X isn't my problem!
I suspect no-one has ever thought to ask the question!  You may be
pleased to know that I have now stirred the coals and asked that
question, which applies not only to X but also to several other programs
that I have running.

It seems to me that the main reason for the problem is the need to
cater for non-root installs.  I would really like to know what
proportion of total PostgreSQL installs they now are.  We are
a long way now from the days when Postgres was a research database with
a poor reputation for reliability.  It is now becoming a serious
competitor to major commercial databases and will in many cases be
used as a major application on the machines where it is installed.

Are there still people who can only install PostgreSQL as a private
application?

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
     "My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not."

Next:From: Lamar OwenDate: 2001-01-29 06:30:35