Re: Open 7.1 items

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <root(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Open 7.1 items
Date: 2001-01-26 17:30:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here are my open 7.1 items. Thanks for shrinking the list so far.

> FreeBSD locale bug
> Reorder INSERT firing in rules

I don't recall why this is wanted. AFAIK there's no reason
NOT to do so, except for the actual state of beeing far too
close to a release candidate.

> Philip Warner UPDATE crash
> JDBC LargeObject short read return value missing
> SELECT cash_out(1) crashes all backends
> LAZY VACUUM
> FOREIGN KEY INSERT & UPDATE/DELETE in transaction "change violation"

A well known issue, and I've asked multiple times how exactly
we want to define the behaviour for deferred constraints. Do
foreign keys reference just to a key value and are happy with
it's existance, or do they refer to a particular row?

Consider you have a deferred "ON DELETE CASCADE" constraint
and do a DELETE, INSERT of a PK. Do the FK rows need to be
deleted or not?

Consider you have a deferred "ON DELETE RESTRICT" and "ON
UPDATE CASCADE" constraint. If you DELETE PK1 and UPDATE PK2
to PK1, the FK2 rows need to follow, but does PK2 inherit all
FK1 rows now so it's the master of both groups?

These are only two possible combinations. There are many to
think of. As said, I've asked before, but noone voted yet.
Move the item to 7.2 anyway, because changing this behaviour
would require massive changes in the trigger queue *and* the
generic RI triggers, which cannot be tested enough any more.

Jan