Re: [BUGS] select cash_out('2'); crashes backend on 7.0.2

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mark(at)summersault(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] select cash_out('2'); crashes backend on 7.0.2
Date: 2001-01-24 14:34:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Folks, I see we have many problems here:

test=> select textout(2);
before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: NOTICE:
Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to
terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
Failed.

and the server log shows:

Reinitializing shared memory and semaphores

Seems like a pretty serious denial of service attack to me. It restarts
all running backends.

I have aligned the error messages, at least.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us