Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Regression Test Problems

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Regression Test Problems
Date: 2001-01-18 18:23:57
Lists: pgsql-ports
Tom,

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 12:59:00PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> In current sources I think that you'd get a "cannot unlink" NOTICE,
> but the table would get logically dropped anyway, and the sole
> side-effect would be failure to recover the disk space.  But in this
> case we could be talking about large amounts of disk space.

Cygwin does attempt to overcome the Windows open file issue.  If a sharing
violation is detected (i.e., the file is open) during an unlink operation
(really DeleteFile), Cygwin will queue it for deletion later.  However,
reading the Cygwin code, I found the following:

/* FIXME: this delqueue module is very flawed and should be rewritten.
        First, having an array of a fixed size for keeping track of the
        unlinked but not yet deleted files is bad.  Second, some programs
        will unlink files and then create a new one in the same location
        and this behavior is not supported in the current code.  Probably
        we should find a move/rename function that will work on open files,
        and move delqueue files to some special location or some such
        hack... */

With the above caveats, is the current functionality sufficient for
PostgreSQL's needs?

Thanks
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235