Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Regression Test Problems

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Regression Test Problems
Date: 2001-01-18 13:46:55
Lists: pgsql-ports

I'm finally back in front of the machine where I ran these tests...

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 01:45:21AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com> writes:
> > parallel group (7 tests):  create_aggregate create_operator inherit triggers constraints create_misc create_index
> >      constraints          ... FAILED
> >      triggers             ... FAILED
> >      create_misc          ... FAILED
> >      create_aggregate     ... ok
> Can't tell much from this.  What are the detail diffs (regression.diffs file?)

Unfortunately I ran more (successful) tests after these failure, so the
detail diffs are no longer available.

> > 2. I am unable to successfully run the regression tests on a NT 4.0 SP5
> > machine with only 64 MB of physical memory and about 175 MB of swap space.
> > Other than lacking RAM and swap space, this machine is the "same" as other
> > NT/2000 machines which can successfully run the regression tests.
> What if anything shows up in the postmaster log?

Sorry, the postmaster log is gone too.

> > 3. Once (or twice), I noticed that the plpgsql test failed.
> > Unfortunately, I didn't capture the precise output but I think that
> > postmaster was complaining about being unable to
> > due to a permissions problem.  Sorry, for being vague...
> Hm.  The first backend to fire up after a vacuum will try to rebuild
> pg_internal.init, and then move it into place with
>     /*
>      * And rename the temp file to its final name, deleting any
>      * previously-existing init file.
>      */
>     if (rename(tempfilename, finalfilename) < 0)
>     {
>         elog(NOTICE, "Cannot rename init file %s to %s: %m\n\tContinuing anyway, but there's something wrong.", tempfilename, finalfilename);
>     }
> In a parallel test it's possible that several backends would try to do
> this at about the same time, but that should be OK; we should end up
> with just one file from the last-to-finish backend.  I think you have
> found another Cygwin bug :-(

Windows has issues with open files.  So, if a backend is trying to
rename a file when it is open (by another), then the rename will fail.
Will this cause database integrity problems?  Or, will there just be
some spurious warning?

Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW: