Re: Postgres superuser & password on Red Hat; upgrade?

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Laurel Williams <tech(at)clearwater-inst(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres superuser & password on Red Hat; upgrade?
Date: 2001-01-17 21:13:59
Lists: pgsql-novice
Laurel Williams wrote:
  >The only way I can become Postgres is to log in as myself (Laurel),
  >become substitute user--root by typing "su" and entering the root
  >password, then typing su - postgres--thus bypassing the postgres
  >password. But that makes Postgres also root, which I understand to be
  >very bad thing. I have used this technique to make Laurel a database

No, this is not the case.  su makes you become the user named, root by
default.  Your first su makes you root; the second one makes you
postgres.  This is perfectly OK and the right way to do it.

  >user, but how can I make Postgres a DBA login with full privileges who
  >is NOT root? What is the method to give Postgres a new password and/or
  >discover the old one?

ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD newpassword;

You need createuser privileges to use CREATE USER or ALTER USER.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
     "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me,

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Ken CoreyDate: 2001-01-17 22:29:59