Re: Postgres superuser & password on Red Hat; upgrade?

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Laurel Williams <tech(at)clearwater-inst(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres superuser & password on Red Hat; upgrade?
Date: 2001-01-17 21:13:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

Laurel Williams wrote:
>The only way I can become Postgres is to log in as myself (Laurel),
>become substitute user--root by typing "su" and entering the root
>password, then typing su - postgres--thus bypassing the postgres
>password. But that makes Postgres also root, which I understand to be
>very bad thing. I have used this technique to make Laurel a database

No, this is not the case. su makes you become the user named, root by
default. Your first su makes you root; the second one makes you
postgres. This is perfectly OK and the right way to do it.

>user, but how can I make Postgres a DBA login with full privileges who
>is NOT root? What is the method to give Postgres a new password and/or
>discover the old one?

ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD newpassword;

You need createuser privileges to use CREATE USER or ALTER USER.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver