Re: PostGreSQL on Windows Help

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Stephan Richter <srichter(at)cbu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGreSQL on Windows Help
Date: 2001-01-17 19:46:04
Lists: pgsql-ports

Stephan,

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 06:46:59PM -0600, Stephan Richter wrote:
> The descriptions on the mailing lists are spare and I have not yet found a
> good step by step description.

Have you tried the following?

http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

> Currently I am at the infamous "FATAL
> 1: SetPgUserName: no entry in host passwd file" problem and noone gives a
> clear answer how to solve it.

Do you have an /etc/passwd file? If not, then on NT/2000 run the following:

mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd

or

mkpasswd -d >/etc/passwd

for a workgroup or domain environment, respectively.

If you are on 9X/ME, then you will have to construct /etc/passwd by
hand.

> But that is already much more than I want.
> I just want the PostGreSQL server running locally without networking
> ability...all I want is to connect to a DB using the PyGreSQL Python
> module. Is there any way I can solve my problem quickly and clean? I do not
> want to install the entire Cygnus tools on my clients computer either.

Sorry, you are on your own here. At a minimum, you will have to install
the cygwin, ash (i.e., sh), and textutils packages. I'm sure that there
are others. If you determine the minimal set, please post your findings
to the list.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235