What am I doing wrong?

From: John Poltorak <jp(at)eyup(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What am I doing wrong?
Date: 2001-01-16 12:10:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

I think I'm doing something fundamenatally wrong when attempting
to use multiple tables. Can someone point out what I'm missing
from the following snippet:-

CREATE TABLE players
(player_id INTEGER NOT NULL Primary key,
player VARCHAR,
club_id INTEGER);

CREATE TABLE clubs
( club_id INTEGER NOT NULL Primary key,
club VARCHAR ,
foreign key (club_id) references players);

insert into players values (1, 'Rivaldo');
insert into players values (2, 'Kleivert');
insert into players values (3, 'Zidane');
insert into players values (4, 'Davids');

insert into clubs values (1, 'Barca');
insert into clubs values (2, 'Juve');

select player,club from players,clubs;

This is the output I get:-

player | club
----------+-------
Rivaldo | Barca
Kleivert | Barca
Zidane | Barca
Davids | Barca
Rivaldo | Juve
Kleivert | Juve
Zidane | Juve
Davids | Juve
(8 rows)

This is the output I would like:-

player | club
Rivaldo | Barca
Kleivert | Barca
Zidane | Juve
Davids | Juve
(4 rows)

It's probably obvious to everyone, but I don't see what I've done
wrong. Any enlightenment would be much appreiated.

--
John