Re: Bug #651: Time difference of 30 in while reading in timestamp

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: rravishankar(at)sify(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #651: Time difference of 30 in while reading in timestamp
Date: 2002-04-30 14:29:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs
pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> I am using Java 1.3.1 and Postgres 7.1.2 and am writing timestamp without zone info to the database using JDBC (my zone is IST or +5:30GMT). I find that there is always a time difference of 30 minutes when i read from the database.

> When i query the postgres database from the SQL prompt, the time is as i had written it. But when i read it from the database into my java code it is more exactly by 30 mins.

I assume the datatype of the table column is "timestamp"?  The internal
storage is in GMT, which is converted to the timezone specified by your
current TimeZone setting whenever you SELECT the value.  If it works in
psql then the database side of things seems to be okay.  I suspect that
in the JDBC case, the backend's TimeZone variable is being set to
something different than what you think it is (either +5 or +6, not
5:30).  Can you try a "SET TimeZone" to set the zone explicitly within
your JDBC program, and see whether the results change?