Arrays

From: "Albert REINER" <areiner(at)tph(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: PostgreSQL-SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Arrays
Date: 2000-12-31 21:29:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

Saluton,

I somehow get the impressions that support for arrays is not a high
priority with PostgreSQL, even though I think it would be very
handy. On the other hand, the system itself uses arrays e.g. for user
groups, so I guess there should be readily available
functions/operators for dealing with that, but I cannot seem to be
able to find them.

Is there a simple way of checking whether e.g. a given int4 is in a
given int4-array?

Is there a way to "thread" a command over an array? By this I mean:
Given an array {1, 2, 3} and a table t like

id | name
--------|--------
1 | joe
2 | fred
3 | mark

, a call to select thread('||', t, {1,2,3}) should produce
'joefredmark'.

Thanks in advance,

Albert.

Albert Reiner <areiner(at)tph(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
Deutsch * English * Esperanto * Latine

  • Re: Arrays at 2000-12-31 22:28:20 from Oleg Bartunov