Re: Re: how to get trigger start function not procedure

From: "Albert REINER" <areiner(at)tph(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: how to get trigger start function not procedure
Date: 2000-12-30 17:54:57
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 02:54:05PM +0100, chris G√ľnther wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:28:52 -0500
> "rob" <rob(at)cabrion(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi and thanks a lot for your answer. Now it seems I have another problem:
> When I try to follow your example - slightly changed to fit my needs -
> I get the message:
>
> 	ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a
> 		CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
> 	Recognized languages are sql, C, internal and
> 		the created procedural languages.

You have to tell Postgres that this database is allowed to use plpgsql.

There is a script createlang you can use:

for me (7.0.2), it is like:

createlang plpgsql dbname

I think that if you give template1 as dbname, all future databases
will "inherit" the language. - The same holds for the other procedural
languages.

BTW: Just as an aside: the 7.0.2 createlang man page / usage info is
definitely not compatible to the script: dbname is not optional; and
at least the name of the language is given as pgsql instead of plpgsql
or so.

Greetings,

Albert.

> Does this meen my installation doen't support plpgsql? I have installed
> pSQL on a RedHat 6.2 System and used moreless the defaults when compiling
> it.
>
> How can I find out what languages are available for my installation and
> should plpgsql not be part of every installation
>
> 	chris

Albert Reiner                                   <areiner(at)tph(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
Deutsch       *       English       *       Esperanto       *       Latine