Re: Alpha tas() patch

From: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alpha tas() patch
Date: 2000-12-29 04:58:13
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
On 28 Dec 2000 at 23:08 (-0500), Tom Lane wrote:
| > after fresh CVS update: geometry, float8, and oid are still failing,
|
| You're running this on DEC's cc, right?  Geometry and float8 are a
| matter of fixing the expected output, I think.  I'm surprised that the
| OID test is failing for you --- it passes for me on that Debian box.
| Could you step through the oidin_subr routine in
| src/backend/utils/adt/oid.c and see what it's getting for intermediate
| results?

no, these results are with gcc, sorry for not stating that :(. With DEC's
cc, I do not see the CheckPoint bug, the oid and geometry regression tests
still fail (same result as before new TAS code, so the it appears that
__LOCK_LONG_RETRY() does the right thing for us).

| > I now am seeing the CheckPoint shutdown bug, which leaves the db in an
| > unusable state after running the regression tests.

| > mnemosyne:~/src/gcc-pgsql
| > pgadmin$ Startup failed - abort
|
| Oh, that's interesting.  On the Debian box, restart works fine after
| CheckPoint barfs.  We need to look into that and find out why --- if
| restart fails in this situation, it would imply that restart after a
| system crash would probably fail too.  Can you trace through it and
| figure out where it's failing?

Yes, I'll dig into this, but won't be able to do so until late(r) in
the day.

cheers.
	brent