Re: Postgresql as complete stand alone service

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: sarosh <sarosh(at)aviri(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql as complete stand alone service
Date: 2000-12-27 18:58:32
Lists: pgsql-ports

Sarosh,

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 01:25:24AM -0600, sarosh wrote:
> Firstly, I would like to personally thank you for the patches you've made.
> They have been an a *HUGE* help in our development.

I'm glad that you have found them helpful -- I was just leveraging off of
the work done by the Cygwin and PostgreSQL efforts.

> I have worked through
> all of the old articles/threads on postgresql.org's porting mailing list. I
> have a rather strange situation that I just cannot seem to resolve any
> further.
> I am able to build the latest version (7.0.3) under cygwin; I then move the
> entire compiled package to a new directory along with the cygwin dll, I set
> PGDATA variable, and postmaster still complains that it cannot find a
> postgres to execute! (Yes, I have replaced the linked binary with another
> copy of postgres.exe). I have also set the environmental variables in the
> system settings and also attempted to set them on the command line. I am
> quite certainty it is a path error; is there anyway that I can define a very
> rigid path that postgresql.exe must use?

What do you mean by "move" above? I hope that you mean "make install".
If not, please try that.

> I have noted that there are quite a few other individuals who were able to
> get this to work. What do I appear to be missing?
>
> My goal is simply to have a build postgres database that is truly standalone
> server mode; we are doing some qa tests and cygwin adds some severe
> complexity to our process sadly. It would ship with only one database that
> is controlled via a service.
>
> I am at my wit's end. Any and all help is appreciated.

You need to provide more details such as:

1. exact error message from postmaster
2. output from set or env
3. output from cygcheck -s -r -v

In the future, please post to the list instead of emailing me directly.
You will probably get a faster answer while possibly helping out others
in the process.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235