Re: GNU readline and BSD license

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GNU readline and BSD license
Date: 2000-12-23 15:44:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Rasmus Lerdorf, the big PHP developer, told me that the existance of GNU
> > readline hooks in our source tree could cause RMS/GNU to force us to a
> > GNU license.
>
> This sort of thing is complete nonsense.
>
> By the same logic you could argue that the system("cp template1 ...")
> calls could force us to a GNU license, because 'cp' is from GNU fileutils.

Well, his issue was that 'cp' is not in the binary, while readline
_could_ be in the binary.  My issue is that we only optionally link
in the library.  We don't actually ship the library with our code.

Honestly, it made no sense to me either, and if it hadn't been Rasmus, I
would have written it off immediately.