Re: Invoice number

From: Mike Castle <dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Invoice number
Date: 2000-12-21 19:08:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 05:50:43PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Mike Castle wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 11:10:00AM +0100, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> >> - Sequences are not rollback'able.
> >
> >Did you mean SERIAL instead of sequence here?
> >
> >If so, why is no rollbackable an issue? All you should need is unique
> >numbers. Not necessarily exactly sequential numbers.
>
> For invoice numbers, it matters.
>
> Numbers missing from such a sequence are likely to provoke questions from
> auditors and taxmen; why borrow trouble?

What do you do on the following scenario:

Client 1 is placing an order, gets invoice #1.
Client 2 is simultaneously placing an order, and gets invoice #2.

Client 1 changes mind and cancels order. Invoice #1 is not used. Invoice
#2 is.

Client 3 comes along. Do they use invoice #1, out of order, or invoice #3?

I suppose of the assignment of the invoice number is set up in such a way
as it is the very last action performed just before the commit, you should
be able to ensure that indeed the situation of having to deal with a
rollback would never occur (outside of a system crash between assignment of
invoice and commit, and that could be explained to auditors).

[What happens in a paper world if a cup of coffee is spilt on some
invoices, and these precious items are thrown in the trash?]

mrc
--
Mike Castle Life is like a clock: You can work constantly
dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com and be right all the time, or not work at all