Re: Using Threads?

From: Bruce Guenter <bruceg(at)em(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Threads?
Date: 2000-12-04 20:28:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 11:42:24PM -0600, Junfeng Zhang wrote:
> I am new to postgreSQL. When I read the documents, I find out the Postmaster
> daemon actual spawns a new backend server process to serve a new client
> request. Why not use threads instead? Is that just for a historical reason,
> or some performance/implementation concern?

Once all the questions regarding "why not" have been answered, it would
be good to also ask "why use threads?"  Do they simplify the code?  Do
they offer significant performance or efficiency gains?  What do they
give, other than being buzzword compliant?
--
Bruce Guenter <bruceg(at)em(dot)ca>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/