Re: pgsql/src/include (

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql/src/include (
Date: 2000-12-04 18:52:18
Lists: pgsql-committers
* Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> [001204 08:00] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net> writes:
> >> turned on by --enable-cassert for now, however.
> > Urk, this looks pretty expensive, is there any flags available that
> > will enable the assertion checking without expensive memory zeroing
> > (or 0xdeadbeef'ing) free'd memory?
> You can twiddle the declarations in config.h (or
> > Is running enable-cassert on my production boxes going to cause
> > a lot of overhead?
> While I haven't tried hard to measure it, the profiles that I've done
> don't show it as a huge cost.
> In any case, you're not planning to run beta code as production,
> are you?

Nope, I'm using 7.0.3, but cassert and debug options have helped
us a lot in the past when tracking down bugs. :)

It would be helpful to have a extra sanity checking option that
doesn't do things like clear large blocks of memory.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]