slow odbc access....

From: Sanjay Arora <sk(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: slow odbc access....
Date: 2000-11-28 23:33:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I am using postgreSQL v. 7.0.2 on RH Linux 6.2 on the server with VB6
Application accessing the DB through postgrSQL ODBC driver v. 6.50 on a 10
mbps ethernet network using four eight port cascaded hubs. PG is recompiled
with BLCKSZ 32 kb.

Thanks to all of you I seem to be making some progress in porting my app to
pg backend. I am facing a peculiar problem.

SQL queries through the odbc are extremely slow. Its so noticable that you
do not even need to bechmark the query execution time. I used simple select
query using where....no joins etc. Same query on psql through telnet was
noticably faster. At first I thought it was a Network problem and tested
the query at night with only the server & workstation switched on at night.
Problem was not resolved so I ruled out NW issues.

Another thing that is peculiar is that while the query is being executed
that the HDD light on the WinNT client machine goes bonkers. It seems that
the ODBC driver is caching something on the local hdd. I do have the odbc
log on but the hdd activity seems to be too intensive for that. Does ODBC
cache recordsets to local hdds or something like that or is poor suspicious
me being unfair to poor odbc logs? ;-))

Are there any other ODBC drivers on Win32 for PG that I can try? Any other
issues that I should study?

BTW, when would the PG 7.1 be coming?

Once again, I would like to extend my thanks to all who helped me.

With regards.
Sanjay.