Re: tinterval or interval

From: Mike Castle <dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tinterval or interval
Date: 2000-11-24 20:52:31
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 03:03:44PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Mike Castle <dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com> writes:
> > Are these "supported" functions?  Should I feel safe in using them and they
> > won't go away in the future?
>
> Thomas Lockhart would be the authority on this, but my impression is
> that tinterval is deprecated and will eventually go away in favor of
> the SQL-standard interval type.  If you've found functions that exist
> for tinterval and not for interval, then that's an item for the TODO
> list --- please submit details.

Perhaps I'm not picking up things from the documentation, but it appears to
me that "interval" is only a time length, while "tinterval" is actually for
specific times.  To use a geometric analogy:  interval is a length, while
tinterval is a specific line segment.

So it seems to me that interval is just way to generic (or rather,
tinterval already supports things that I want to do, such as testing for
overlaps).

Am I missing something in the documentation that would explain to me how I
could use a starttime/length combination (something like abstime/interval,
or timestamp/interval) to check for overlaps like can be done with tinterval?

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com  and be right all the time, or not work at all