Re: PostgreSQL for NT

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: "W(dot) van den Akker" <wvdakker(at)wilsoft(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL for NT
Date: 2000-11-18 20:04:21
Lists: pgsql-ports
Willem,

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 11:31:12AM +0100, W. van den Akker wrote:
>    Do I have to run Postgres from the Bash-shell?

Since in the standard distribution postmaster is a symlink to postgres,
I guess that the answer is "yes."  There are other games that you could
play, but...

>    I like to run postgres as a service within NT.

Since you want to run PostgreSQL as a NT service, the simplest solution
is to delete the symlink from postmaster to postgres.exe and copy
postgres.exe to postmaster.exe.  After performing these operations,
PostgreSQL will be able to run from cmd, as an NT service (if wrapped
by something like srvany or invoker), and from bash.  The only downside
is a little wasted disk space, but disk space is cheap and getting
cheaper...

I was actually thinking that may be the standard NT distribution should not
contain symlinks for this exact reason.  What do others think?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235