Re: got Postgresql working on FreeBSD-alpha

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: got Postgresql working on FreeBSD-alpha
Date: 2000-11-15 20:36:20
Lists: pgsql-patches
* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> [001115 12:18] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein writes:
>
> > > About the regression tests:  Apparently you're picking up the wrong
> > > "expected" files.  I can't make out why offhand, though.  Modulo that, the
> > > inet failure looks to be the only real trouble.
> >
> > Yes, can you point to at the general location of that code?  I'd
> > like to see if it's a FreeBSD bug, FreeBSD-alpha bug, Postgresql
> > bug or Postgresql-alpha bug or any combination thereof. :)
>
> A short explanation of the mechanism is at the end of
> src/test/regress/README.  Depending on how you invoke the regression test
> you'll have to look into pg_regress, regress.sh, or run_check.sh for the
> implementation.  I recommend using 'gmake check' or 'gmake installcheck',
> which would invoke the former.  The others are obsolescent.
>
> > Question, how much of an impact is using test and set over using
> > system semaphores?  Would it be worth it to patch 7.0.x for alpha
> > and using hardware spinlocks rather than kernel mutexes?
>
> Generally, test and set should be a lot faster.  Specifically, the non-TAS
> code is probably broken and will be removed sometime.

Can you commit my patch as is for the time being?  People are
touching files near where my work was done. :(

I'll try to address the inet problem with alpha when I get a chance,
I'm wondering if there's a problem on Linux-alpha as well, any idea?

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]