Re: PostgreSQL on NT

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Fredrick Bartlett <palmtreefrb(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on NT
Date: 2000-11-13 14:24:15
Lists: pgsql-ports

Fredrick,

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 08:19:46AM -0800, Fredrick Bartlett wrote:
> Yes that would be great.

I would prefer to ftp and not mail bomb you. Do you have an incoming ftp
area?

> Would you also be able to provide instructions
> on how to install a functional win32 PostgreSQL server.

Kevin Lo has already provided the above. See the following:

http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

> There are
> many DBA's, interested users etc. who are not programmers that would
> benefit from a win32 version that can be installed i.e.. "setup.exe".
> PostgreSQL would gain a greater audience/user base by providing a server
> that can be easily installed into the win32 environment. This would
> include not just PostgreSQL, but the entire cygwin/PostgreSQL solution.

The above is exactly what we are doing. I wrangled the perl script,
update-setup, that creates the setup.ini file used by Cygwin's setup.exe
from its author. With update-setup, it is very simple to create custom
Cygwin installations. One approach is to create a setup that installs
all Cygwin packages plus PostgreSQL. Another approach installs only
the minimum necessary Cygwin packages plus PostgreSQL. And yet another
approach installs only PostgreSQL, the user would be required to install
Cygwin from a mirror too. Note that in all of these approaches, the
user is using the same setup.exe -- possibly more than once to different
URLs.

I must point out that the author sent me update-setup under the conditions
of no support. I will contact him and ask his permission to send you
a copy. If he gives permission, which is likely if you agree to no
support too, then I will forward a copy to you.

> With regards to win32<>Linux, I'm on both sides of the fence.
> If I had a "solid" win32<>Linux PostgreSQL solution I might be more
> inclined to use/develop using PostgreSQL. As it is I, cannot use
> PostgreSQL for my win32 clients, so I am stuck with other Server's
> that provide support for win32<>Linux. This should be a wake up call
> to all the propeller heads (I am one) out there working on PostgreSQL,
> wiggle that hot dog in front of their noses and they will come...

Hmm...from where did the above come? I'm not touching this one with a
10 ft. pole! :,)

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235