Re: [HACKERS] 7.0.3 branded

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: ian(at)airs(dot)com
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 7.0.3 branded
Date: 2000-11-03 20:29:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
   From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
   Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:11:00 -0500 (EST)

	   cvs log -rREL7_0_PATCHES

   I want just log entries that are part of the branch.  I get all entries.

What I see when I try this is that for files which have the
REL7_0_PATCHES tag (i.e., files which are on the branch), I see only
log entries for the branch.  For files which are do not have the
REL7_0_PATCHES tag (i.e., are not on the branch), I see all log
entries.

For example, in the top pgsql directory,
    cvs log -rREL7_0_PATCHES HISTORY
gives me only log entries for the branch for the HISTORY file.
However,
    cvs log -rREL7_0_PATCHES GNUmakefile.in
gives me all log entries.  It also gives me this warning:
    cvs server: warning: no revision `REL7_0_PATCHES' in `/home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot/pgsql/GNUmakefile.in,v'

Is this also what you see?

The natural way to fix this ought to be
    cvs co -rREL7_0_PATCHES pgsql
    cvs log .
Unfortunately, I tried it, and cvs log, I believe erroneously, seems
to pick up all files in the directory, even if they have not been
checked out.

I can tell you a hideous kludge to avoid this, but I can't claim that
it is the way to operate.  Check out the branch using the -r option as
above.  Then do this:
    find . -name CVS -type d -exec touch '{}/Entries.Static' \;
After that, in the same directory, do
    cvs log -rREL7_0_PATCHES

I'd hate to have to explain why that works.

Which version of CVS are you running on the server?  When I find some
time I'll see about fixing cvs log.

Ian