Re: Query caching

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Steve Wolfe <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query caching
Date: 2000-10-31 23:01:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

* Steve Wolfe <steve(at)iboats(dot)com> [001031 13:47] wrote:

> > > (Incidentally, we've toyed around with developping a
> query-caching
> > > system that would sit betwen PostgreSQL and our DB libraries.
> >
> > Sounds amazing, but requires some research, I guess. However, in
> many
> > cases one would be more than happy with cahced connections. Of
> course,
> > cahced query results can be naturally added to that, but just
> connections
> > are OK to start with. Security....
>
> To me, it doesn't sound like it would be that difficult of a project, at
> least not for the likes of the PostgreSQL developpers. It also doesn't seem
> like it would really introduce any security problems, not if it were done
> inside of PostgreSQL. Long ago, I got sidetracked from my endeavors in C,
> and so I don't feel that I'm qualified to do it. (otherwise, I would have
> done it already. : ) ) If you wanted it done in Perl or Object Pascal, I
> could help. : )
>
> Here's a simple design that I was tossing back and forth. Please
> understand that I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, or even a good
> way to do it. Just a possible way to do it. I haven't been able to give it
> as much thought as I would like to. Here goes.

> Implementation

[snip]

Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz> Implemented stored proceedures for
postgresql but still hasn't been approached to integrated them.

You can find his second attempt to get a response from the developers
here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/karel-pgsql.txt

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]