Numeric file names

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Numeric file names
Date: 2000-10-28 20:52:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Now that we have numeric file names, I would like to have a command I
can run from psql that will dump a mapping of numeric file name to table
name, i.e.,

	121233	pg_proc
	143423	pg_index

With that feature, I can write scripts pgfile2name and pgname2file that
map file names to table names.  People can run standard Unix commands
and have meaningful display output:

	ls -l | pgfile2name

changes:

	-rwx------  4 postgres  postgres   512 Oct 27 10:52 198323

to:

	-rwx------  4 postgres  postgres   512 Oct 27 10:52 pg_class

The only missing piece would be to identify files on a backup tape.  Not
sure how to handle that unless a map file already exists on the tape.