Re: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Horák Daniel <horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT
Date: 2000-10-16 15:53:35
Lists: pgsql-ports

Horák,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 05:28:00PM +0200, Horák Daniel wrote:
> Do you have some automated mechanism to build the distribution archive? I
> think this archive could be the standard distribution.

If Joerg doesn't, then I can provide what I use to build the .tar.gz that we
install with Cygwin's setup.exe.

> But as Yutaka Tanida noticed two weeks ago there are problems with Cygwin
> 1.1.4. So we should try to solve this too. Maybe we can test the development
> snapshot of cygwin1.dll.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledge with PostgreSQL and cannot
really help in this area. Although, I encourage those who find Cygwin
related problems to report them back to the Cygwin list:

cygwin(at)sources(dot)redhat(dot)com

> I have tried to run the latest version in CVS - with small updates it
> compiles and runs the regression test well (only the horology test is
> failing - this is a known problem with cygwin).
>
> The changes were:
> - make install moves dlls into bin and not lib (you need to have only
> pgsql/bin in PATH)

My build "script" just copies pq.dll to pgsql/bin instead of all of the
DLLs.

> - exported symbol TransactionCommandContext (required by plpgsql)

Did my patch get into CVS? I thought that I resolved all of the
plpgsql.dll build problems.

> - use AF_UNIX sockets - it compiles but didn't work on my machine (the
> special file (similar to symlink in cygwin) created by cygwin was corrupted)

Please report the above problem to the Cygwin list.

> To Jason Tishler - I think would be a good idea to make postmaster a service
> (like inetd), but the ipc-daemon is also a candidate.

You are right -- both have to be services to be useful. More work! Sigh...

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235