Subselects lack functionality

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Subselects lack functionality
Date: 2000-09-28 22:01:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Kuba Ober (winnie(at)hoth(dot)amu(dot)edu(dot)pl) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
Subselects lack functionality

Long Description
Subselects don't allow one to use tuple set operators like UNION, INTERSECT, EXCEPT. It forces one to select the results into a temp table.
It would be gr8 if single column subselects would allow themselves to be treated the same way as lists do as right-side arguments of IN operator.
This would allow e.g. much more powerful DELETE statement, like
Subselects cannot be used as arguments to aggregation functions - I presume this is very weird and not expected at all, but I had such an idea.

I don't know if it is expected behaviour (standards?), this should be explained in the docs (or am I searching in the wrong place?)

Sample Code
select (select id from table1 except select where expression) as id;

(assuming that subselect would result just one tuple)

No file was uploaded with this report

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Lamar OwenDate: 2000-09-28 22:20:52