[patch,rfc] binary operators on integers

From: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [patch,rfc] binary operators on integers
Date: 2000-09-20 19:11:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Well, I was interested in binary operators on integers
and as Peter suggested that I should look into it
myself, so I did it.

Choice of operators:

 ~ - not
 & - and
 # - xor  - I like it :)
 | - or

Things I am unsure of:

1) Precedence.  I quite nonscientifically hacked in gram.y,
   and could not still make it understand expression '5 # ~1'
   nor the precedence between '&' and '|#'...

   At the moment all the gram.y changes could be dropped and
   it works ok, but without operator precedence.  Any hints?

2) Choice of oids.  I took 1890 - 1913.  Should I have taken
   directly from 1874 upwards, or somewhere else?

3) Choice of operators.  As I understand the '^' is taken,
   I wont get it.  Now, in gram.y I found that the '|' is
   used in weird situations and with weird precedence so
   maybe I should use something else for OR too?

4) Is anybody else interested? ;)

I would like to get comments/further hints on this...

--
marko

Next:From: Jesus SandovalDate: 2000-09-20 20:35:54