shmget fails for min buffers of postmaster also on solaris 7 .....

From: Dronamraju Rajesh <drajesh80(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shmget fails for min buffers of postmaster also on solaris 7 .....
Date: 2000-09-18 07:53:58
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-sql
Dear All,

   I have installed postgres 7.0.2 on solaris 7 on an
intel based machine. But, when I am trying to run the
postmaster( the database startup) with minimum buffers
also it gives the following error

****************
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)
key=5432001, size=1104896, per
mission=600
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and
platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
FATAL 1:  ShmemCreate: cannot create region
****************

Then I have read the POSTGRES on SOLARIS and other
FAQ's and then edited the /etc/system file and added
the following entries to increase the shared memory
size to 128MB.

********
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=268435456
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=200
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=200
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=200
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=250
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=500
set semsys:seminfo_semume=100
********

Inspite of this I am unable to start the postmaster.
Can anybody Please suggest me a solution for this
problem. It would be of great help if someone can
suggest me what all changes in the OS or postgres are
to be made for starting postmaster with 512 buffers.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh.

http://mail.yahoo.com/

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Loïc TREGOUËTDate: 2000-09-18 10:30:14