Re: Backend-internal SPI operations

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Hollomon <mhh(at)nortelnetworks(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backend-internal SPI operations
Date: 2000-08-30 15:42:47
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> >> The  right  way  IMHO would be to give views another relkind.
>
> > This appeals to me.
>
> I like it too.  Aside from the advantages Jan mentioned, we could also
> refrain from creating an underlying file for a view, which would be
> nice to avoid cluttering the database directory.

    From  memory  I think views are created as CREATE TABLE, with
    an internal  DefineRuleStmt,  and  dumped  as  CREATE  TABLE,
    CREATE  RULE for sure.  So the CREATE/DROP RULE would need to
    remove/recreate the tables file (plus toast file  and  index)
    if  you want it to be consistent. Don't think you want that -
    do you?

Jan