Re: disallow LOCK on a view - the Tom Lane remix

From: Mark Hollomon <mhh(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: disallow LOCK on a view - the Tom Lane remix
Date: 2000-08-30 01:03:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 04:14:00PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Ok, I'm wondering if this patch will cause problems locking a table
> that has had:
>
> CREATE RULE "_RETfoo" AS ON SELECT TO foo DO INSTEAD SELECT * FROM foo1;
>
> I need to be able to lock the table 'foo' exclusively while I swap
> out the underlying rule to forward to another table.

Yes, it would. 'foo' would be seen as view.

Okay, this gives me a reason to to do it the hard way.

I will try to add a relisview attribute to pg_class.
That way, we can differentiate between tables with rules
and things created with 'CREATE VIEW'.

Hmmm... guess I'll need to change the definition of the pg_views
view as well.

--
Mark Hollomon
mhh(at)mindspring(dot)com