Invalid PG_PWD

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Invalid PG_PWD
Date: 2000-08-25 08:56:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ricard Pillosu (rpillosu(at)atilon(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Invalid PG_PWD

Long Description
We can't use pg_passwd to generate paswords for users, when pg_hba.conf contain :

local password pg_pwd

Firts, I generate password for postgres user, with the utility :
pg_passwd pg_pwd

After that, I try to create another user with password and the file pg_pwd that contained only postgres user, now contains only tue new user in an older password format. From this point, it is impossible to connect to postgresql with any user. I must to edit pg_pwd, delete the line, execute pg_passswd pg_pwd again and then all is OK.

If I try to create a user without pasword, the file pg_pwd becomes empty.

If I modify the file pg_hba.conf like this :
local password

without the name of the file pg_pwd, then the password system seams to generate it's passwords inside the pg_shadow file, and I can work normally.

Thanks.

Sample Code
Format with pg_passwd utility and pg_pwd param in pg_hba.conf :

postgres:RAztuRdKHwkCQ

Format without pg_passwd utility and without pg_pwd param in pg_hba.conf:

adm_general 0 x x x x ADM \N

No file was uploaded with this report