Re: Index selection on a large table

From: bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com (Robert E(dot) Bruccoleri)
To: pgsql-bugs(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index selection on a large table
Date: 100-07-27 00:21:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I have seen the same problem with poor default query
plans. Unfortunately, VACUUM ANALYZE is not an acceptable option
because it takes far too long to reindex a massive table. The behavior
under PostgresQL 6.5.3, which apparently assumed that all indexed
entries were nearly unique works well for my applications, whereas the
current behavior under 7.0 does NOT work when it most matters, for
really big tables. I do recommend to the developers that they reconsider
the current choice because it appears to be bug, not a feature.

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | Phone: 609 737 6383 |
| President, Congenomics, Inc. | Fax: 609 737 7528 |
| 114 W Franklin Ave, Suite K1,4,5 | email: bruc(at)acm(dot)org |
| P.O. Box 314 | URL: http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534 | |