Re: which type matches Oracle's NUMBER type best?

From: doctor(at)fruitbat(dot)org
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc: dave(at)turbocat(dot)de (David Wetzel), pgsql-ports(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: which type matches Oracle's NUMBER type best?
Date: 2000-07-19 19:55:48
Lists: pgsql-ports
The Hermit Hacker said ...
> talked this one over with one of our Oracle guys here at work a month or
> so back ... seems that *everything* for Oracle is a NUMBER ... whether its
> an INT or a DECIMAL or what ...
>
> Its there 'jack of all trades' sort of type that everything equates to
> ... it. int == number with a precision of 0 ... or somethign like that ...

Oracle's NUMBER type is a superset of other numeric datatypes.  It can
contain integers, floats, decimals, all of quite a large percision and
scale.  You can use the other types (INTEGER, DECIMAL, FLOAT, etc), and
PL/SQL will honor their structure, but NUMBER gives you the best-of-breed
solution for storing numeric data.

There isn't really a good equivalent in Postgres.  Really, it depends on
your application data.  You should spend some time modeling your data to
see what you really need.

--
Peter A. Castro (doctor(at)fruitbat(dot)org) or (pcastro(at)us(dot)oracle(dot)com)