Re: Platform-specific "FAQs" are waaaaaay outdated

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Platform-specific "FAQs" are waaaaaay outdated
Date: 2000-07-17 02:55:07
Lists: pgsql-docs
> The platform-specific FAQs in the doc/ area have clearly been suffering
> from, er, letter rot.
> Quoth FAQ_Linux:
> "This was a problem in 1.08 [...]. It is fixed in 1.09 and 6.0"

Yikes, that is very old.  Man, who is maintaining these.

> Some of the material goes on for pages about problems which have quite
> obviously been fixed or suggests fixes which provably don't work.
> To me this is clearly an out of sight/out of mind problem and it needs to
> be fixed, like this:
> * Platform-specific installation problems are documented in the
>   installation instructions. No after the fact, "sorry the real
>   installation procedure doesn't work for FooNix".
> * Regression test problems are documented with the regression tests.
> * Information about how to set up shared memory and other resources will
>   also find a home in the Administrator's Guide in a to be created
>   section.
> * FAQ's will be destroyed, except for a select few.

The reason these are separate files is because at one time, people
running specific platforms maintained them separately.  I actually had
e-mail accounts for Linux and Irix FAQ's.  The maintainer could e-mail
a file to an account here, and the web site and cvs would be updated

Of course, having separate maintainers allowed them to keep it
up-to-date with no effort on our part, but when people left, they just
sat there.

I am not sure if we should just clean them up to remove the old stuff,
or merge them into the docs.

  Bruce Momjian                        |