Re: vacuum

From: Jean-Marc Pigeon <jmp(at)safe(dot)ca>
To: rmager(at)vgkk(dot)com (Rainer Mager)
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum
Date: 2000-07-14 01:59:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Bonjour Rainer Mager

> Good ideas except I think I wasn't clear. The system is a commercial product
> with numerous individual customers. Each customer is somewhat unique and we
> want to have the system capable of vacuuming automatically for all users.
>
> The thing is that some users might have systems that are used little in the
> early morning but others might be very different. We would rather not do
> usage statistic gathering/analysis if there was a better way.

We have the same kind of application here.
We vacuum according the load, if the load start to be "high"
we vacuum ->earlier<-, ok there is a little penalty on users, but as soon
the data-base is clean, the performance is dramaticaly improving
and the load just drop. So instead to have user penalised
for a long time, we just use it as a trigger to clean the base.
(we do not want the user to vacuum at will)

A bientot
Jean-Marc Pigeon Internet: Jean-Marc(dot)Pigeon(at)safe(dot)ca
SAFE Inc. Phone: (514) 493-4280 Fax: (514) 493-1946
REGULUS, a real time accounting/billing package for ISP
REGULUS' Home base <"http://www.regulus.safe.ca">