Re: [HACKERS] Foreign key bugs (Re: "New" bug?? Serious - crashes backend.)

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: ryan <ryan(at)bel(dot)bc(dot)ca>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Foreign key bugs (Re: "New" bug?? Serious - crashes backend.)
Date: 2000-07-11 09:20:19
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> There are at least two bugs here: the immediate cause of the crash
> is lack of a check for heap_openr() failure in the RI trigger code,

    Exactly where is that check missing (if it still is)?

> but a larger question is why the system let you drop a table that
> is the target of a referential integrity check (which I assume is
> what you did to get into this state).

    For me too.

> Anyway, dropping the siteid trigger, as well as any others that
> refer to gone tables, ought to get you out of trouble for now.
> Meanwhile the foreign-key boys have some work to do ...

    That's exactly the purpose of pg_trigger.tgconstrrelid, which
    is filled with the  opposite  relations  Oid  for  constraint
    triggers.    In  RelationRemoveTriggers(),  which  is  called
    during DROP TABLE, theres a scan for it. That's where the

        DROP TABLE implicitly drops referential ...

    NOTICE message comes from. So I wonder how he got  into  that
    state?

Jan