Re: fcntl(SETLK) [was Re: 2nd update on TOAST]

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fcntl(SETLK) [was Re: 2nd update on TOAST]
Date: 2000-07-08 21:41:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> [000708 06:40] wrote:
> > > That's a good point. I don't think so because the socket will only
> > > create for one user. Basically, we don't need something bulletproof
> > > here. We just need something to prevent admins from accidentally
> > > starting two postmasters on the same port.
> >
> > Actually I just remebered the issue here, if one wants to start
> > postmaster on an alternate port there will be no conflict and
> > all hell may break loose.
>
> We already lock the /data directory. This is for the port lock.

The whole process could be locked by an fcntl lock on a seperate file,
which I think was already mentioned, however I've deleted most of the
thread unfortunatly.

/tmp/.l.PGSQL.5432 <- fcntl lockfile, aquired first.
/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 <- socket.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]