Re: Re: [HACKERS] proposed improvements to PostgreSQL license

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai(at)wxs(dot)nl>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: chris(at)bitmead(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [HACKERS] proposed improvements to PostgreSQL license
Date: 2000-07-04 06:19:34
Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
-On [20000704 08:00], Thomas Lockhart (lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu) wrote:
>> I think this is a bad idea for the following reasons:
>> 1) It is trying to be a GPL in what it is trying to achieve without
>> actually being well thought out. Any person who "submits" modifications
>> must do so under the same licence. Submits to what or whom?
>
>It is *not* trying to be GPL. It is trying to be BSD, while extending
>liability protection to the current cast of developers, who are (I'm
>pretty sure) not covered in any of the wording of the UCB-generated
>license.

 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.

Seems pretty clear to me.  ``In no event shall the author or
contributors be liable for any...''

Anyways, why do people always have to start whole threads on -announce?
Reply-to set.  Please honour it.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai(at)[wxs(dot)nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best